- 50g gluten-free oats (or cashews)
- 50g ground almonds (or whole almonds)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla vegan protein powder ( I use The Welle Co or Innermost Health)
- 1 heaping teaspoon of cinnamon
- 130g medjool or other soft dates, pitted and halved
- 1.5 tablespoons coconut oil (soft, or melted)
- 60g almond butter or cashew butter, or a mix of both
- a generous pinch of salt
Optional adaptogens: Use one or several of the following, or add your own preferred adaptogens or tonic herbs.
- 1/4 teaspoon pearl
- 1/2 teaspoon ashwaganda
- 1 tablespoon tocorionels
- 1 tablespoon cacao
- 1 teaspoon he shou wu, cordyceps, reishi or chaga
Start by blending the oats, ground or whole almonds, salt, protein powder, cinnamon and adaptogen powder of choice in a food processor, on the highest speed, until they form a fine, flour-like consistency.
Next, add the dates and then blend again until the mixture becomes doughy and perhaps even forms a large, sticky ball.
Next, add the coconut oil and the nut butter and blend a final time. The mixture should be smooth, sticky and doughy. It should not be wet or paste-like. You should be able to handle it with your hands and it should hold together when you press or squeeze it.
Finally, roll the mixture into balls, or form into bars, and store in the fridge or freezer. I keep some in the fridge for an instant snack, and some in the freezer as they will keep for months and months, and take just seconds to thaw.